Serving on the COAERS Board
The COAERS Board of Trustees are fiduciaries of the retirement system and discharge their duties in the exclusive interest of members and beneficiaries for the purpose of providing authorized benefits to participants and their beneficiaries. Trustees work with professional staff and service providers including investment consultants, actuarial consultants, and legal counsel.
COAERS is governed by an 11-member Board of Trustees that is comprised of:
- Four elected active City of Austin employees
- Two elected retired employees
- Two City Council appointed citizens
- One Board appointed citizen
- One City Manager designee
- One City Council Member
Responsibilities of the Board of Trustees include:
- Establishing and reviewing the mission and setting the strategic direction of COAERS;
- Adopting policies, resolutions, and bylaws appropriate for the administration of COAERS;
- Hiring and performance evaluation of the executive director;
- Approval of the annual administrative budget;
- Oversight of investment program and asset allocation of the fund;
- Establishing the actuarial assumptions with the assistance of professional staff and consulting actuary; and
- Approval of disability retirement applications.
If you are interested in serving on the COAERS Board, please review the information below about open positions for Active members, Retired members, and citizen appointments.
Open Board Positions:
Currently, there are no open positions for Active members in the 2022 election cycle.
Voting is now closed for retired members in the 2022 election cycle:
- RETIRED MEMBER PLACE 11
Voting in the Retired Member Election for Place 11 closed at 5pm on December 1, 2022. The Board of Trustees will meet December 15, 2022 to certify the election results and will declare the official winner.
Election Voting Information
Board elections are held every year for active and retired trustee positions and are overseen by a volunteer committee called the Nominating and Election Committee. Terms for elected board members are four years and the terms are staggered so that there is an active or retired place for election every two years. As an active employee, you have the opportunity to vote for peers running for active board positions. When you retire, you can vote for the retired positions. You can also be a candidate yourself for these positions.
The volunteer Nominating and Election Committee meets approximately four times in the election year: once to kick off the election season, next to review candidate qualifications, then prepare ballot, and lastly to tabulate votes. All meetings are held at the COAERS Boardroom at 6850 Austin Center Blvd, Suite 320. If you are interested in being a volunteer, please send a message to Michelle Mahaini.
Candidate applications are submitted in September, with ballots mailed out in October and voting by December. The newly elected board member will begin their new term the upcoming January.